Monday, 31 December 2012

Papa Wemba - Peel Session 19/8/1992



Hmmm.....seems this blog has taken on a Midlands bias of late, so let's get virtually peripatetic and expand our horizons with a trip to Paris via the Democratic Republic of Congo.

If you're not looking forward to Later with Jools Holland (even though Dexys are supposed to be appearing) and have taken to reminscing about the days when Andy Cameron graced our screens at Hogmanay prancing about in his McEwan's lager-drenched kilt and jabbering jocko gibberish until Big Ben intervened, then why not see in 2013 with Papa Wemba.

The first of two sessions Wemba recorded for Peel, eight songs in total were taped, split equally for broadcast among Peel and Andy Kershaw. In typical Maggot Caviar fashion, three songs are missing, but hopefully the five tracks presented here will get you into the party spirit before real mundanity beckons.

Happy New Year, dear reader.



1. Madilamba
2. Maria Valencia
3. Zero
4. Ombela
5. Lingo Lingo*

*broadcast on Andy Kershaw's show.

11 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Mr Cale! Great post - giving Jools a miss this year so this is a very welcome alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have both sessions on tape... I'll have a look at the weekend.

    Btw I'd noticed that it's a fortnight since your last post - get a move on squire! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to go on strike until someone sends me Big Flame's second Peel session ;-)

      Delete
  3. Is that the "Boots Were Made For Walking" one? I can't convert it to mp3 at the mo', but I can send you a tape (A TAPE) if you're desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the one! I think I've got an old tape deck sandwiched between a manual qualcast lawnmower and a rusty old mangle in the garage somewhere. I can be contacted at: sterlingcale68@yahoo.co.uk, or if you're on Facebook, here:

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/sterling.cale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I defo have all 4 songs - quality may be a little shaky as I was still taping Peel on my parent's rickety cast-off Amstrad stack system back then... Is there anything else from that era you're after 'cos there's a dinstinct possibility I may have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff! The only other sessions I'd like to get hold of before the Grim Reaper calls is the three sessions The Men They Couldn't Hang did, and The Beta Band's Steve Lamacq session from 1997. After that, I will sleep easy and want for nothing evermore.

      Delete
  6. I may have at least one Men They Couldn't Hang session, I'll have a look... What songs were on The Beta Band session, any idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry The Rain and Shepherd's Dub. The latter I've already posted on here. I think Dog's Got A Bone may have been one of the other tracks.

      Delete
  7. Hmm, dunno 'bout that Lamacq session, but I have quite a lot of Beta Band stuff taped from The Breezeblock if you're interested - Old Jock Radio, & all that stuff?

    Found that "Boots" session - it's on tape with other ones by Tools You Can Trust, Blue Orchids, Cabaret Voltaire, The Mary Chain &, erm, Rose of Avalanche!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent stuff, Mr. Rooksby! If you me to convert them all to mp3s for ye, I'll be happy to do so. Please contact me at the email address mentioned elsewhere on this comment thread.:-)

    ReplyDelete