Friday, 3 May 2013

The Silver - Do You Wanna Dance (7" 1980)


Nice thought, but I must confess this is a reissue from 2004 that I finally managed to add to my collection earlier this year. 

First released on the Black Label Series label in 1980, original copies are about as rare as Lord Lucan riding a unicycle in your local supermarket car park while waiting for Elvis to return from buying a fresh batch of beefburgers. According to a slip of paper inside the sleeve, the single was reissued to coincide with the third EMP Pop Conference, April 2004 (!). Limited to just 500 copies, mine is no. 424. Other than that, no new information about this mysterious and elusive group has come to light

I first posted the A side on this blog last summer using a downloadable mp3 from The Silver's myspace page. I've since deleted the original blog but have reposted the text below, along with new mp3s ripped direct from vinyl, including this time the equally obscure b side Popper.

A1 Do You Wanna Dance
B1 Popper


This is the record that started my endless journey into the nether regions of pop culture.

Back in the days of three channel black and white tv, once News At Ten had finished my parents usually listened to the radio before retiring to bed. Momentarily forgetting that John Peel gate crashed Radio 2's VHF frequency four nights a week at 10pm, my humdrum semi-detached cul-de-sac world was changed forever in a few seconds of caustic mayhem by what sounded like a bunch of hyperactive delinquent infants on day release from borstal .

As my father lept out of his swivel armchair for the MW switch, I rushed to my bedroom and frantically turned the dial on my portable radio-cassette player to savour the rest of the song. Despite being only 11, 12 years old at the time, I was aware of punk and owned one or two Side-era Pistols singlles and vaguely recall my mother informing me of the death of Sid Vicious after she'd read the morning paper. But I'd never heard anything like this before.

It wasn't until December 1991 when I unexpctedly heard Peel play it again, during a tradition-breaking christmas show when he didn't compile a Festive 50. For many years I considered writing to Peelie requesting him to play the track again, compiling a letter in my mind similiar to what I've written here, hoping that I would one day get chance to tape it. But in those days he rarely did requests, a stance he would relax during the latter years of his broadcasting career. I never did write that letter.

It was only a chance rummaging on Myspace that I was able to download the track from the playlist on the band's profile page. But there was virtually no other information, apart from a passing mention they hailed from Finland, or indeed evidence of a b side.

3 comments:

  1. Heh, that paragraph about News At Ten & VHF is hilariously bang-on sir... how old are you Mr. Cale? I turned 46 last November, & distant thoughts of listening to Peel's 10-till-midnight show as a teen have been preying on my mind a bit... I really miss that particular bit of my growing up, the music I heard & attitudes I picked up on back then remain an important part of my life, even now. (p.s. Blub)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-ha! Mr. Rooksby, you're still with us.
      I'm now the same age as the revolutions of a 45rpm single. Or to use plainspeak, I turned 45 last month.

      Delete
    2. Btw, any joy with the Big Flame Peel sesh?

      Delete