Wednesday, 16 July 2014

The Vibes - Peel Session 2/4/1985



My introduction to The Vibes came in early 1985 when Peel gave several airings to I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining). Because of the title I at first assumed the group were from the States, until I later discovered the Pebbles series and, moreover, Volume 1 which contained the original version by The Outcasts.

The group hailed from Peel's childhood home turf, releasing their debut single on Big Beat in1984 before signing to Chainsaw for a further two singles and an LP What's Inside, all of which will set you back a few nicker on the collectors market.

By 1986 they evolved into The Purple Things and released several albums until the end of the decade. This was their only session for Peel which was transmitted twice in April and June 1985.

Other than that I don't know much about the band, but for more information check out The Vibes and Purple Things fan site on Facebook.

 
Inside Out
Looking In The Mirror
Egyptian Thing
Judgment Day


1 comment:

  1. I bought "Pittsburgh" after hearing it on Peel as well - & What's Inside too, though I rashly parted with the latter a long time ago (you should definitely consider uploading it if you've clung onto your copy, I'd love to hear it again!). I missed this session when it was broadcast though, perhaps my Amstrad tower system was on the blink that night or something? Parts of The Vibes later mutated into Terminal Cheesecake, in case you didn't already know... :)

    ReplyDelete